Click here to view NAR's 2015 Member Safety Report
REALTOR® Safety should be practiced everyday.
This is why NAR has provided "Weekly Safety Tips" and "Monthly Safety Articles."
Visit NAR’s REALTOR® Safety Web site at www.REALTOR.org/Safety
Here are prevention tips that'll help you stay on the side of safety:
- Meet first time clients at your office.
- Leave word with someone at the office of where and with whom your appointments will be.
- If you accompany someone through a property, let the prospect lead the way. This will make it impossible for you to be cornered in a room or grabbed from behind.
- Conduct open houses with a partner.
- Be alert for behaviors that don't fit the pattern of a potential home buyer, such as checking the alarm system, doors or locks.
- Leave purses and expensive jewelry at home.
- Never leave keys in front-door locks.
- Always take your own car for showings. When you leave your car, lock it.
- Find out as much as you can about prospects, such as where they work, what they do, and how much they earn.
- Ask a lot of questions and be a good listener.
Source: NAR Public Affairs Division